Heritage Sites

THE 1ST MALL OF MEERUT AT LALKURTI ESTABLISHED IN THE YEAR 1902 BY THE BRITISHERS.

THE 1ST MALL OF MEERUT AT LALKURTI ESTABLISHED IN THE YEAR 1902 BY THE BRITISHERS. The first mall in Meerut was established in the year 1902 by the British. When the British set up the cantonment in Meerut in 1806, which was the largest in India at that time, they also established a market. This market was created with the intention of preventing the Indian sepoys from entering the city and interacting with the local population. Even today, some of the oldest bakeries and shops from that era can still be found in this area. The market was inaugurated by Sir James John Digges La Touche KCSI (December 1844 - 5 October 1921), an Irish civil servant in British India who spent most of his career in the North-Western Provinces. He served as a Member of the Council of the Viceroy of India and was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces and Chief Commissioner of Oudh in November 1901. In March 1902, the province was renamed the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh, leading to the abolition of the former commissionership.

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0